Tuesday, March 15, 2011

University of Texas article

Check out the article that my husband wrote that was published in the US News and World Report feature about US Business Schools...



M.B.A. Student Profile: Why I Picked University of Texas—Austin

A second-year M.B.A. student explains why he chose the UT-Austin McCombs School of Business.


By U.S. News Staff

Posted: March 15, 2011


Jeffrey Harbach is a 32-year-old student at the
University of Texas–Austin McCombs School of Business. Here, in his own words, he tells U.S. News why he chose to attend the school to pursue his M.B.A.:

Click here to find out more!

In choosing a graduate business program, I assessed all the baseline metrics: ranking, size, post-graduate statistics. The strength of the local and state economies and the nature of the local business ecosystem were also important considerations for me and my family. I was fortunate to find a program that provided everything I was looking for in the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas–Austin.

I found the culture within the business school to be even better than advertised. The students are extremely intelligent and passionate individuals who value collaboration as a means of learning. I'm certain that many of the relationships I've built during my two years at McCombs will contribute to fruitful business relationships in the future.

The culture here is a reflection of the entrepreneurial and collaborative nature of the city. The ecosystem is built on the research coming out of the university, a history of success in technology and energy start-ups, a beautiful climate and geography, and an abundance of social activities. People here have struck an amazing balance between ambition and collaboration.

McCombs also has a number of active groups targeting entrepreneurs. Venture Fellows, where I served as the director, provides an opportunity to intern at venture capital firms in Austin. I am also a cofounder of Texas Venture Labs (TVL), a cross-campus initiative that fosters collaboration among graduate business, engineering, law, and computer science students focused on entrepreneurship. TVL associates work with high-potential entrepreneurs to help them grow their start-ups.

Unquestionably, I've gained some of my greatest learning experiences through these UT opportunities. Hook 'em Horns!

No comments: